Our History

Over 105 years and counting of The Bunola Church of the Nazarene

The Bunola Church of the Nazarene was founded by Rev. Walter A. Smith. He began his Bunola ministry by holding local services in a tent. The first church was organized on November 15, 1914, with forty-one chartered members.

From the tent meetings, the congregation moved to holding services in the Junior American Mechanics Hall. It soon became necessary to build their own church building. A piece of ground was donated by George and Kramer Peterson. Under the leadership of Rev. Smith, the first church was erected, as a one room building on “stilts”. This first building was valued at $2,500.

During the ministry of Rev. D. C. Mitchell in 1939, the congregation added a full basement to their church. which served as Sunday School space.

In the year 1948, while Rev. C. J. Hunt was pastor, the church built a large addition to the back of the existing building. This addition included four Sunday School Classrooms on the upper level and a large auditorium on the lower level. Also added at this time was running water and fluorescent lighting. This $14,000 building program, supervised by Rev. Smith, was dedicated debt free. With this project completed, more than $1,000 was placed in a parsonage fund.

1954 article
Then on stilts
Now 2022

In 1964 the Church was incorporated. In the next twenty years the church was painted, additional insulation was added to the ceiling, and the basement floor was tiled. Repairs were made to the sidewalk and steps and a new roof was placed on the church. The basement, under the sanctuary, was converted into four rooms and. hallway. An organ was donated to the Church by Rev. Smith, friends and fellow employees of the G.C. Murphy Company. In 1982, a new piano was placed in the sanctuary in memory of William E. and Ruth N. Pritchard.

In preparation to commemorate its 70th Anniversary in 1984, the Church sought to undertake a major renovation:

  • Church painted inside and out.
  • E. L. Trimble, Christian philanthropist of Texas, donated carpet to the church.
  • Paneling and drapes added.
  • Pulpit chairs re-upholstered.
  • Lighted sanctuary cross donated in memory of Walter Smith, Jr. by his wife and daughters.
  • New doors for basement entrance.
  • Tile in vestibule and carpet on front steps.
List of the Original Members
List of Former Pastors

Click Here to read more about our Parsonage.

Click Here to read more about our Fellowship Center.